Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Saved by the BRAN!

NO, this is not a blog about digestive issues...

I was literally saved by the bran when it came to breakfasts for my houseguests!

So, the night before my guests arrived I made this HUGE batch of bran muffin batter and I'm telling you, I made A LOT of muffins each morning, (18, I think) and it lasted me the whole three days that my guest stayed!

AND they're REALLY yummy! If you use my recipe, please post a comment! I may just have to publish my own cookbook someday...

Here's the recipe... (as you can see, I did not anticipate scanning this when I wrote it! Yikes, my penmanship is terrible. I just copied it down quickly over the phone... it's been in our family for years...)

Now, here's what I did to make it REALLY convenient. It didn't take up too much refridgerator space, and it was pretty easy for putting the batter into the muffin cups:

Now you can store this bran muffin batter for like at least a week in the fridge.

Thankfully for us, we have a store here that sells some imported grocery items. One of those is ALL Bran cereal! Yay. When I saw it, I bought 4 boxes or so, because we LOVE bran muffins! You never know if what they have in the store will be an item they'll be able to get more of or not, so when it's there you have to stock up! My mom has to send us powdered buttermilk though, because although there possibly is such a thing here, I have no idea where to look or even what to ask for in Spanish! I'd love to know if anyone knows this or has any ideas. I don't even know how to describe what buttermilk is in Spanish!

Okay, I'll be posting several times today to catch up.

Amy


Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by mistresninos (71.104.21.176)
Glad you had a nice visit and the muffins lasted the whole time. I'd make them but I'm fairly certain that Bran is "evil" in our house (my youngest son has Celiac Disease).

re: your comment on my blog...you are a genius. Someone that resourceful should be a missionary. ;-)

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by nsremom (71.32.254.253)
I started reading your post thinking it was a parallel to the woman with the oil that doesn't run out....LOL. I had no idea where your post was headed....thought it might end up on the miracle end...ha,ha. Ya know...3 days worth of Bran Muffins could be a miracle....

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - What, no buttermilk?

Posted by KayinMaine (216.220.249.220)
I never stopped to consider the kind of everyday sacrifices missionaries make. Surely God will richly reward those of you who willingly give of yourselves in so many ways.

BTW, I think your penmanship is quite neat!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - Homemade "buttermilk"

Posted by coffeemamma (70.49.136.58)
We don't buy it (even though our local grocery store does carry it) since I found this recipe in an old cook book of my mom's:

For every cup of milk, add one tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir well, then let stand five minutes, stirring well again before using.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive