Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My kids LOVE school!

Well, they love the stories/narration that we do with Ambleside Online!

Both boys beg for Burgess Bird book every week! This is a book with Peter Rabbit getting to know the different birds that nest in the Old Orchard. -they are disappointed when I remind them that it's only scheduled every other week on the schedule we're using. Today the chapter was about a Least Flycatcher named "Chebec". While I was looking this up online, I found an absolutely awesome thing: a field guide matched to your zip code by National Wildlife Federation!

Today we read "Tree in the Trail" chapters 17 & 18. This has prompted an interest in Indians, Wagon Trains, Santa Fe trail, Cowboys, Buffalo, etc, etc. Such great ideas for creative play.

We also read George Wasthington and his hatchet from Baldwin's 50 Famous Stories. At first mention of George, GuerrillaGuy spoke up and said, "Hey, that's that famous war guy!" If something is somehow related to warfare or combat, I'm telling ya, my GuerillaGuy remembers it.

We also read two Aesop's Fables - these aren't really anybody's favorites, but at least not a dreaded chore.

As for independent reading and math they are not nearly as enthusiastic. But we trudge on because to my husband it is important that they keep up with the other kids their age.

Our project for the week is to start our timeline book. I have to figure out exactly how we're going to do it, and then we'll work on putting the figures on for the stories/history that we've already done. Maybe I'll blog about that as we go along.

Amy

Post A Comment!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by humpty (216.150.112.96)
Thanks for link to the bird in your zip and the Burgess Bird Book. I am going to buy the bird book. It looks great.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive